Wednesday, April 17, 2013

A Plot Person's "WAR" Chest

I've been doing plot for over fifteen years.  It started out as a binder, where I drew up extremely detailed plots.  Like, really detailed.  Up to 15 or 20 pages for an individual plotline.  I wanted to make sure every possible contingency was accounted for.

That stopped after about four years.  I realized that I can't expect PC's to follow my plotlines from point A to point B to point C.  It isn't fair to them and it totally cuts their creativity.  Trying to plan for every contingency was a nightmare and incredibly time consuming.
So I chucked it all.  I tend to write a paragraph or two of backstory now.  I have an idea of where I want it to go.  I include 3-4 bullet points of what should be accomplished over the event.  I also include 2-3 bullet points of how we can possibly decimate that information.  And I roll with what the PC's want to do.  Sometimes, they don't even get involved in a plotline.  They just want to do their own creative thing.  Find some Faeries from Faerie and roleplay and tell stories.  Or maybe they want to go the Plane of Autumn and chat with someone from the Silent City and test their mettle and whits against one of the Sages found there.

But, but...I didn't write anything for that.  What the heck do I do? I despise telling PC's "No."  Now, let me explain what I mean by that.  If they want to try something, I don't usually mind letting them attempt it unless it is really, really out there.  For the Plane of Autumn, they have to figure out how to get there.  I hate entitlement, but if you walk up the hill and have something creative (and not TOTALLY out there), why not roll with the punches? Not enough NPC's, that's fine, add a spur of the moment mechanic.  Most of my small mods/plots are run with no more than 1-2 people, because I never plan on having any NPC's there.

They don't just say "Hey, I wanna go here.  Make it happen."  But what happens when they get to the Plane of Autumn and to the Silent City, what do I do then? That's where the WAR Chest comes in immensely helpful.  Here's the dealio - the WAR Plot Chest that I have constructed over the past ten years and only just now organized in a manageable fashion is designed to hold non-typical treasure, fun things to include for mod mechanics, unique treasure to toss on a mod, and various things to add a little spice.  Also some specialty props just in case.

This is my WAR Chest over to the left.  You can't see things very well, but it's a handy dandy container.  It has 4 pull out shelves, the bottom being the largest.  It cost 15.00 at target.  Easy to transport to events.

I spend no more then $25-$30 per year on props.  I like to stick to a tight budget.  I try to get things that I can reuse.  I spent a bit more this year on leather to make masks, which are not held within the WAR Chest.  So what's in the WAR Chest and where do you get stuff to put in it? Well, the dollar store is WAY awesome.  You can find bookreps to make knowledge books.  Fingers and eyeballs at Halloween.  There are some masks in the bottom.  There are some games - like Simon Says - to use for locks.  Playing cards.  A Mensa book of puzzles and riddles from forever ago.  Some paint and brushes.  Some fimo clay reps I made.  Thumb tacks for the bulletin board.  Those weird bugs that when you put them in water they grow.  Also, some hanging tissue paper stuff.  String.  A voice modifier.

All sorts of stuff to run mods with unique twists with no pre-planning and totally off the cuff.  I have the planned stuff in there too, but a lot of it is designed to be used whenever just to add a little "oomph" on a mod.  I keep all my non-typical treasure items in here, too.

So suddenly the story-telling Faeries get a fun bottle of super potent hooch.  Or the Autumn mods has some unique puzzles or riddles on it. 

I've found, over the last several years that this WAR Chest has helped me be more creative and flexible in my mods and in my reactions to PC requests.

Do you have a "WAR Chest?" And if so, any tips for items to put in it?

No comments:

Post a Comment