Thursday, April 18, 2013

The Importance of Cross Gaming

Back when I blogged for LARP Ohio, we always used to sing the praises of players who crossed games.  Sometimes, it's hard for us to step outside of the realms we're familiar with and step into a whole new world with new rules and new people.

But the benefits of cross gaming can be absolutely eye-opening.

When I started LARPing, the only game I played was NERO.  I had played it at a few different chapters, and even that got me started on seeing what kinds of games are out there, because no two NERO chapters run the same game.

From that time, I've played and staffed Exiles, a completely different game from NERO in almost every way, as well as playing Wastelands, a post-apocalyptic game based around airsoft combat.  And that's not even counting the few times I've participated in convention games (PST Productions) or played Amtgard or Dagorhir.  I'd like to think that I have at least a mildly varied history when it comes to LARP.

And each one of those things gave me a different take away, both as a player and as a staff member.

Exiles showed me the importance of environmental effects taking a bland module to something spectacular.  Every event aspires to have at least one vehicle module, where common events are joined with some varied mechanic (trains, riverboats, stagecoaches) to make a lasting impression without a lot of major work constructing NPCs.

Wastelands helped me identify, as a player, how to be better with situational awareness as well as resource management (both from internal resources and for money).  The Airsoft aspect made it super important to understand where enemies are and to handle it swiftly, because failure to do so ended in mild discomfort and sure destruction. And with it being a post-apocalyptic game, money can be hard to come by, and generally interacting with other PCs is the only way to get by (unless you're the money, then you can do what you want).

Amtgard and Dagorhir simultaneously taught me that I'm a good fighter, but also that I'm not the best fighter.  I tended to fair better than I thought I would, but in many instances I was extremely humbled by the skill and speed of some of those players.  It really helps put things into perspective.

Have you gone out of your comfort zone to play a different game?  What did you learn from doing so? Let us know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment