Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Crafting with Clay

Many Larps have a significant emphasis on repping everything, including Accelerant.  If you CAN rep it, you should.  If you can't rep it, maybe rework your general idea.  It can sometimes be hard to figure out how to rep things and make them look cool, without getting expensive, difficult to find, or hard to make.  I really enjoy making different kinds of reps, for PC's and for plotlines.  I am a huge fan on "non-typical treasure," and you will probably see a post on that in the upcoming weeks.  Below are some of the Fimo Clay items I've made and I've included some tips in working with Fimo Clay.  

Fimo Clay is an oven-bake clay.  You mold it and bake it, and that's it.  You do not need a kiln.  It comes in numerous colors, so you don't have to worry about painting them if you don't want to.  

I started using Fimo and Sculpey Clay over the summer to make reps.  I was surprised at how easy it was to work with and I was pleased with the end results.  

Fimo Clay can be purchased at any normal type crafting stores, like JoAnn Fabrics.  They come in small bundles about 2" x 3".  They run about $2.50 per pack and come in a whole slew of colors.  You'll also want to pick up a couple of tools, if you don't already have them. 

Tools:
  • X-acto Knife - great for fine trimming
  • A cutting board - I use a regular wooden kitchen cutting board, one side for rolling and smoothing, the other for cutting
  • Various Tools - you can use random stuff around the house to make marks and such, but I purchased and use these
  • Wax Paper - great to work on when you have it over the cutting board, keeps the clay from sticking
  • Plastic Baggies - a little clay goes a long way and you will want to store the excess in a plastic bag with all the air squeezed out to keep it from drying out  
  • Perhaps acrylics for shading or painting your rep (and brushes) - always bake before applying paint or mod podge
  • Mod Podge to give it a shine or matte lustre - lasts forever and helps protect it from scratches 
So let's take a look at a couple of the first-time projects I undertook.  I've included some tips for each. Note: the times do not take in to account baking time.

This is a rose I made, one of my first projects.  I used silver clay (about half a pack) and a twig I liked from the backyard.  Some tips:
  • The petals were small rolled balls of clay worked thin, then pulled slightly out as I attached them.  I made the rose "bulb" first and then gently pushed the stick in, but removed it for baking. 
  • Bake the pieces first on wax paper in the oven.  Lower temperature for a longer time. 
  • TIP: Check it regularly, should feel rubbery when done!  Take it out and let it cool, it will harden further.
  • Leaves, thorns, rose bud added with a touch of hot glue after.  
  • TIME: 15 minutes 

This is my version of a scarab beetle I used on a tomb mod.  
  • Just role a gumball sized piece of clay, then shape it.  The marks I added with a metal tool.  I added runes on the back.
  • TIP: Work the clay a LOT before using it, rolling it back and forth in your hands.  It may take a while, but it should be soft.  If it is very hard, use a spoon to work it against the board until soft.  
  • TIME: 10 minutes


This is a necklace/medallion I made for a friend.  
  • I started with blue clay, made the general shape, and then used white clay and a cheap mold I found here.
  • TIP: When attaching the mold pattern to the main body, make sure you add lots of scratches and such to the back of the mold and where it is to be attached (criss-cross), helps to avoid air bubbles and keeps it from falling off.  
  • Add the holes for the wire (threaded after baking) 
  • I then baked and used a thin brush to apply acrylics. 
  • TIME: 1 hour

 An Oyster with pearl I made for a mod.  
  • Took black and silver clay and mixed it.
  • TIP: When combining clay colors, place the colors up against each other and then roll them together (so they are in the shape of a pencil), then twist them together, roll in to a ball, and repeat till satisfied. 
  • I shaped the black and silver first, then used pearl white and placed it in the bottom.  Used an edging tool to smooth it in.  Rolled a white ball, baked, and a dollop of hot glue. 

 Trun Runes made for a friend, but great for Quest plots!
  • I had a lot of extra clay left over from making the Oyster, so I decided to make my friend some runes.  Ya, they are generic runes.  
  • Rolled the black and silver clay together, just like for the Oyster.
  • TIP: getting them the exact same size can be tricky.  Once the clay is rolled together, roll it in to a log shape and use the X-acto Knife to cut even coin-shaped pieces.  One per rune.
  • Added the Runes with a pointy metal tool, with a thin tip. 
  • TIME: 30-45 minutes
 
Another item I made for a mod, this was a blood flower (I believe). 
  • I also used another mold to help with this, similar to this one.
  • I made it using the same techniques on the medallion (scratch it to apply petals to leaves).
  • TIP: It is a bit difficult to see, but the petals are actually turned slightly, so when you put it down it doesn't lie flat.  To do this, I baked it carefully draped it over a spoon while baking.
  • TIP: When working with molds, they can get gummy with clay, so it sticks when you pull the clay out. Be sure to wash it often, with dish soap.  
  • TIME: 30 minutes 

The great thing about working with Fimo Clay to make a rep is that if you mess up, you can just ball it up and start over.  If you are not super artistic, they sell tons of molds fairly cheaply, especially when JoAnn's is having a sale.  You can made pendants, beads, etc.  And there are tons of ideas online.

I make a bunch of reps (8-10) out of fimo clay before the season starts.  I'll add them in as treasure for a mod, use them for spontaneous plot ideas, or have it as a cool merchant item.  PC's seem to like it and it means I can make almost all my reps for the season for under $20.00. 

I will probably do other posts on different types of inexpensive crafting projects you can do to easily make some fun reps, so stay tuned!

Have you ever worked with Fimo Clay? Will you try it?   
  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment