Friday, March 1, 2013

The Larp Community and Change

This is the first post here on Larpers Unite, which will be dedicated to building the Larp community.  For the moment, there will be two primary contributors - Bill and Jennifer Tobin.  

Since this blog deals with the Larp community, I thought it would be appropriate to talk about change and the ability to adapt to changes within the Larp community.

It's easy for Larps to fall in to an isolationist existence, even with all the modern gadgetry that keeps us "connected."  Larpers tend to be fiercely proud and loyal of the Larps they play.  When Larps were in their infancy stages, this fierce loyalty helped grow the community, but also helped to divide it.  We're beyond that stage now - there's no reason to play in one game and hate on another.  It's okay to play more then one Larp, and you shouldn't have to feel guilty about it.  

Part of being a community is being open to change, accepting of others, and willing to try new things.  We may not always see eye to eye, but that's okay. 

Recently, Bill and I had the unique opportunity to be a part of designing an Accelerant game (The Shattered Realm) for We Are Roleplayers, who just announced the end of their 20 year relationship with NERO.   

We, along with many individuals and WAR owners, spent countless hours designing, writing, and creating a new world in which to play.  It wasn't easy, especially considering the decision to leave NERO was made in mid-January 2013. 

Bill and I are married (if you can't tell by the same last name) and we have always joked that I'm the more creative, plot-type person of the relationship, while he is the rules guru.  He's more technical in his approach (balance, Jenn, balance!), while I'm more emotional (well, this thing might be balanced but will people like it?).  Coupled with comments and contributions from nine other owners, as well a nearly a dozen players, let's just say the last month has been interesting.  Okay, it's been a massive stress ball that resulted in a bunch of arguments, some tears, my dogs not getting near enough ear scratches, and me learning more about rules and rules mechanics then I ever had ANY interest in knowing.

But you know what? Despite all those arguments, tears, and long workdays WAR Accelerant came in to being.  In a month and a half.  Seriously.  Even if you hate the system, you have to admit that it's impressive that 10-20 Larpers were able to get together and agree enough to get it finished that quickly.  Is it perfect? Heck no, but there's room to grow and change with needs and wants of the players.

I was amazed throughout the process at how many people were eager to help and contribute their own blood, sweat, and tears to see this get accomplished.   Individuals drove several hours to my house to spend their weekends typing out the short-hand notes we had, proofreading drafts, and contributing their own creative power.  I saw a group come together as never before and it made me proud to be a Larper.  

It made me a little teary.

Not really, but it was super cool to see everyone working together.

It's been difficult for me to make this transition from NERO to WAR Accelerant, even though I was one of the primary designers.  I've been involved with NERO as a member of WAR since I was sixteen and I've fulfilled a number of roles.  I met my husband at WAR events, as well as my best friends.  It made me who I am today.  But all things change in time, and the time has come for WAR to move on from NERO.  This doesn't mean we won't remember our time with NERO fondly, but that we are excited about something new and different. 

What I've discovered throughout this whole thing is that change can be okay and that it can make a community come together and grow.

I'm sure there will be a mix of emotions and ideas about WAR and WAR running the Accelerant rules set.  Just remember, WAR made this change to bring something new and exciting to the community and their players.

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations on a new LARP blog! And on the transition to Accelerant WAR-- speaking for myself, I'm glad to have you in the Accelerant community. (And it's reassuring that, if I ever end up in the Midwest, I'll have a potential LARP home.) I look forward to reading this blog. -Zoe (of collabnarration.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am incredibly excited to see WAR go in a different direction, and I can't wait to get a chance to play this summer :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jillian - come back. Banner magic, oh yea, it can be a thing now. Just sayin'!

    ReplyDelete