Thursday, March 14, 2013

If It Doesn't Say No, That Means I Can, Right?

Something I've noticed in the last few years in the Larps I am involved in/play in there is a new mentality that has arisen among a lot of players in regards to rules.

"It doesn't say that I can't do that, so I can do it, right?"

It's a belief that has become more and more commonly held by different player bases.

So can you?

Here's the answer.
For those of you that didn't click the link, the answer is No.

Here's why - if you add in every little thing to a rulebook that you can and cannot do, you are going to run in to a rulebook with hundreds upon hundreds of pages, which is no fun for anyone.

This is different than adding a clarification to an existing document - sometimes the way a mechanic works isn't always clear.

If you are unclear whether or not you are able to do it, always ask, don't just assume that because it doesn't state something that you are able to do it.  Most staffers/plotters/owners encourage much questioning! I heart questions.

I've noticed a trend, though, in recent years as rulebooks for Larps have gotten bigger, and bigger, and bigger....the rules aren't changing, just people are trying to find ways to circumvent around the fact that it didn't spell out every single detail.  Rather than asking, they simply do it until they get caught. 

A number of times I've seen situations (in general, on forums, not any gamer group specifically) where a player say, "It didn't say I couldn't do that, so I did.  Why can't I do that?" and receive a response of "The rule/skill is spelled out, does it say you can do that?"  Answer, "No, but it doesn't say that I can't, either." Response, "If it does not specifically say that you can, than most likely you are unable to do it.  But it is always good to drop a line and ask a question, thanks!"

The same things happens with government - thousands upon thousands of pages of laws are printed every year.  They attempt to plan for every contingency/every loophole.

Here's how I look at it - by adding more and more to a skill or rule, you are actually creating a greater chance of someone finding a loophole as it gets more and more convoluted. 

I like to think of this as a friendly reminder and a rambling post for a cold Thursday morning.

I'm not being a meanie in any way, shape, or form, but explaining what some Larp groups (ours included) is doing to avoid having 200 page, convoluted rulebooks.

The best solution is, when in doubt, don't do, but do ask! :-)

Do you think rulebooks should clearly delineate everything you can/cannot do with a skill/rule? If there a way to do this without the RB getting too big/unwieldy? 
  

2 comments:

  1. I think the "Spirt of the Rules" rule needs to be the #1 rule in any game. This rule needs to be promoted non-stop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this post a lot. I try to explain it this way: For the most part, things you can do in real life are *limited* by rules (no shield bashing, no kicking), things the game is making up for you to do are *created* by rules (when you can throw spells, how slays, work, etc). So if it's something the rules are inventing for you to do, it has to be explicitly permitted. Vs. something you can innately do (like running) which you can do unless the rules forbid it.

    ReplyDelete